ICDS has been well known as one of the most influential international conference, which focuses on research into point and extended defects, dopants, shallow and deep impurities including magnetic impurities in bulk materials as well as defects in organic Semiconductors, low-dimensional and nanoscale structures, and oxide layers. Both basic and applied research topics will be covered, with special emphasis on applications of results to semiconducting materials and semiconductors-based device functionality. Traditionally, ICDS has been held every 2 years in various cities around the world. The last conference held in Espoo, Finland, from the 27th to the 31st of July 2015, was attended by more than 300 researchers from 43 countries including Europe, North America, South America, Asia and so on.
- 1997: Aveiro (Portugal), 21-25 July, 1997
- 1999: Berkeley (USA), 26-30 July 1999.
- 2001: Giessen (Germany), 16-20 July 2001.
- 2003: University of Århus (Denmark), 28th July – 1st August, 2003.
- 2005: Awaji Islands (Japan), 24-29 July, 2005,
- 2007: Albuquerque (USA), 22-27 July, 2007.
- 2009: St Petersburg (Russia), 20-24 July, 2009.
- 2011: Nelson (New Zealand), 17-22 July, 2011.
- 2013: Bologna (Italy), 21-26 July, 2013.
- 2015: Espoo (Finland), 27-31 July, 2015.